The main features of these regulations include:
- authorisation of Aquaculture Production Businesses (APBs) and registration of put and take fisheries;
- a public register of APBs;
- a risk based approach to disease surveillance;
- disease prevention requirements for transporters of aquaculture animals;
- statutory controls on exotic and non-exotic diseases of aquatic animals;
- a statutory requirement to notify the Department of any suspicion of disease;
- rules for the placing of aquaculture animals on the market.
It is an offence to operate an aquaculture production business, put and take fishery or non-commercial installation without a valid authorisation or registration.
- Aquatic Animal Health Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2009 (legislation.gov.uk website)
- Aquatic Animal Health (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011 (legislation.gov.uk website)
- Aquatic Animal Health Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011 - final regulatory impact assessment
- Council Directive 2006/88/EC
- Commission Regulation 1251/2008
- Commission Regulation 1250/2008