Guidance for horse owners who may wish to move horses to the ROI or another EU Member State in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal

Under the Tripartite Agreement (TPA), most horse movements within the island of Ireland are currently permitted without the need for certification.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal in place, the UK will no longer be a party to the TPA and there will be changes to the way that horses are moved from the UK to the EU.

One of the changes is that an Export Health Certificate (EHC) completed by an Authorised Veterinary Inspector (AVI) and, in some cases, a Government issued ID document will be required to facilitate the movement. Certain conditions will have to be fulfilled in order to allow the AVI to complete the EHC, depending on the nature of the intended movement.

Keepers of horses are advised to take steps to prepare for a potential no deal if they wish to transport their horses to an EU Member State after the UK leaves.

What you can do now

Establish contact with an equine approved AVI

You should identify an equine approved AVI in your area who can advise you on specific requirements to allow for certification and provide you with the certification. Your local equine veterinary practitioner or DAERA Direct Office will be able to advise you on how to identify a suitable AVI. 

Register your premises with DAERA

EHCs completed by AVIs can only be issued from a registered equine premise.

If your premises is not currently registered with DAERA as an equine premises, you should contact your local Divisional Veterinary Office / DAERA Direct Office in order to register. Both form FB3 and new equine premises registration forms will be required.

For the latest guidance on EU exit and moving equines visit:

This guidance is accurate as of 10/09/2019.

Back to top