Internal fish movements

All fish farms within Northern Ireland operate under the authority of a Fish Culture licence issued under section 11 of the Fisheries Act (NI) 1966. Since 2009 all fish farms and aquaculture production businesses are required to be authorised by the Department for fish health purposes.

Fish Farms

Under the terms of the authorisation all movements of fish to and from fin-fish farms within Northern Ireland require the authorisation of the Department prior to the movement. Such movements are authorised by the Fisheries Inspectorate and require at least two working days prior notice to the proposed movement.


You can apply for a Movement Permit by one of the following;


Wild Fisheries

Movements of fish to or from the wild fishery in Northern Ireland (except Foyle and Carlingford Areas) also require a permit issued by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) under Section 14 of the Fisheries Act (NI) 1966.

Movements to or from the wild fishery in the Londonderry or Newry Areas require a permit issued by the Loughs Agency of the Foyle, Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission under Section 69 of the Foyle Fisheries Act (NI) 1952.

Records of fish movement

Records of all fish movements are retained by DAERA to enable movements within Northern Ireland to be traced in the event of a disease outbreak.

More useful links

Back to top