Northern Ireland is declared disease free for the following diseases.
- Viral Haemorrhagic Septicaemia (VHS)
- Infectious Haematopoietic Necrosis (IHN)
- Infectious Salmon Anaemia (ISA)
- Koi Herpes Virus (KHV)
- Bonamia Ostreae (with the exception of Lough Foyle and Strangford Lough)
- Spring Viraemia of Carp (SVC)
- Infection with Gyrodactylus salaris (GS)
- Bacterial Kidney Disease (BKD) – originally declared as additional guarantees under Commission Decision 2004/453/EC and now declared as disease free under Commission Decision 2010/221/EU
Koi Herpes Virus (KHV)
KHV became a compulsory notifiable disease in Northern Ireland on 27 March 2009 under the Aquatic Animal Health Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2009.
Northern Ireland was declared disease-free from KOI Herpes virus (KHV) in 2012.
Three ornamental facilities in Northern Ireland have also achieved disease free status in respect of KHV. These are:
- Glenkrag Ltd (download declaration)
- Causeway Koi (download declaration)
- Clearly Aquatics (download declaration)
The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) is a competent authority for the purposes of making confirmed designations under Regulation 31 of the Aquatic Animal Health Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2009.
You can view a list of designation notices issued by DAERA, see link below
Northern Ireland Marine Disease Control Compartments
- Shellfish Disease Status in Northern Ireland’s Sea Loughs
- Belfast Lough
- Carlingford Lough
- Dundrum Bay
- Killough Bay
- Larne Lough
- Lough Foyle
- Strangford Lough
This can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting the Fish Health Inspectorate on 028 44 618090.
More useful links
- Declaration from the UK for disease-free status for Ostreid herpesvirus (OsHV-1 uVAR) under Article 43 of Council Directive 2006/88/EC
- UK Declaration of a Disease-Free Zone for Northern Ireland, with regard to KHV DIsease Presented at SCOFCAH on 5th March 2013
- UK Declaration of a Category II surveillance programme in Northern Ireland with regard to KHV