The Portrush Coastal Zone is owned and run by DAERA Marine and Fisheries Division and housed in what was an old Victorian Bath House. It is located at the western end of the Causeway Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), an area rich in natural and historical interest.
The Centre provides information and interpretation on the marine and coastal environment and overlooks the Skerries and Causeway Marine Special Area of Conservation (SAC). This SAC was the first marine protected area in the UK for harbour porpoise and these wonderful creatures can often be spotted from our viewing platform.
The Centre is also situated immediately adjacent to the Portrush National Nature Reserve (NNR) designated for its geology and fossils. The geodiversity of the north coast can be explored by visitors to the Centre through storyboards and a Virtual Reality suite installed in partnership with the Causeway Coast and Glens Heritage Trust as part of the European-funded Drifting Apart project.
June - August, 10am - 4.30pm daily
Entrance is free
8 Bath Road
Phone: 028 7082 3600
Further information & Who to Contact:
- Portrush Coastal Zone contact details and location
- To report a Pollution Event call the Water Pollution Hotline on 0800 807060
- To report a live stranded whale, dolphin or porpoise, contact the DAERA Marine Wildlife team on 028 90560421
- To report an abandoned or injured seal pup, contact Exploris Aquarium on 028 42728062 or 07701 372623
- To report a dead whale, dolphin, porpoise or seal, contact the DAERA Marine Wildlife team on 028 90560421
(If diverted to voicemail please leave your name, number, time of call and brief details)