DAERA staff travelling on official duty / work permits

Do I require a Work Permit to travel to and from the office for essential work and / or to make essential journeys connected with official duties?

At present there is no official guidance in relation to this issue. We have raised it with Department of Justice as the lead department on this matter and will share guidance with you whenever it becomes available.

In the meantime, a common sense approach should be adopted. If you are required to go into the office to deliver an essential service, you should carry your Civil Service pass with you. If you are stopped by the police and asked why you are travelling, you should explain that you are an essential worker for the Northern Ireland Civil Service and show your pass as evidence/ID.

Back to top