A joint DAERA/DAFM research funding programme is now open for applications from public performing research institutions in NI to participate in joint projects with the Republic of Ireland that will benefit the local agri-food sector.
The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has identified a number of topics in the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) 2021 Competitive Call for Research Proposals that are of shared strategic relevance to the Northern Ireland agri-food sector, with DAERA agreeing to fund the participation of NI based researchers in successful project applications.
Application information can be obtained from DAERA’s website
All responses to this Call for Submission of Proposals must be received by 1pm on Sunday 28th February 2021.
Welcoming the opening of the fourth collaboration on this programme, Minister Poots said: “Since 2015 this joint programme has seen nearly £4m invested in collaborative research in agri-food across the island. DAFM and DAERA share many of the same policy challenges so there is a shared benefit in a collaborative approach which enables the leveraging of additional research capacity and expertise to meet the needs of the local agri-food sector.
“My Department recognises that science has a vital role in providing our farmers and agri-food industry with a competitive edge in highly demanding markets. Funding through this programme to local scientists, technologists and advisers will play an essential part in assisting NI farmers who face the challenges of increasingly competitive agri-food and forestry sectors. Sharing both knowledge and resources through collaboration enhances both the quality of research, and the value derived from DAERA funding.”
Notes to editors:
- This is the fourth cycle of the DAFM/DAERA collaboration. In total DAERA has supported 19 successful projects in the first three cycles to a value of £3,878,335.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Asulam authorisation for 2021 bracken control 16 June 2021
- 2021: A very different year for grass growth & management 16 June 2021
- Beef Technology Demonstration Farmer Stephen Maguire goes in a different direction 16 June 2021
- Molly is outstanding in her field! 16 June 2021