Brickkiln Skip Hire Ltd pleaded guilty today at Londonderry Magistrates' Court for breaching the terms of a discharge consent issued by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA). The Company was fined a total of £1,000 plus £15 Offenders Levy.
On 6 April 2018 Water Quality Inspectors, acting on behalf of the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) visited Brickkiln Skip Hire Ltd, Heather Road, Creevagh to determine if they had complied with the conditions of an Enforcement Notice issued by the Department.
The Inspectors examined the sample point and observed dark coloured effluent flowing through the sample point. In accordance with procedures a tripartite statutory sample was collected.
The sample was analysed and found to contain 106mg/l (milligrammes per litre) of Biochemical Oxygen Demand, more than ten times the consented limit. The sample was analysed and found to contain 324mg/l of suspended solids, more than six times the consented limit. The results of the analysis show that this discharge failed to comply with the consent conditions. This effluent was unsuitable for discharge.
Anyone wishing to report a pollution incident can call the 24 hour Water Pollution Hotline on 0800 80 70 60.
Notes to editors:
- Brickkiln Skip Hire Ltd was fined a total of £1,000 and charged under Article 7(6) of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 with the offence of breaching condition 1 and condition 4 of a discharge consent issued by the Department.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110
- Rising to the challenge of making one of our favourite foods healthier 21 January 2020
- DAERA offering dairy farmers a free trip to learn innovative heifer raising techniques 21 January 2020
- Construction company fined for water pollution offence 21 January 2020
- Using technology and innovation to protect the environment and support farm efficiency 17 January 2020