Today at Coleraine Magistrates' Court, Castlerock man Raymond Dallas (31) was given 160 hours community service order for waste offending.
On 5 April 2017, in response to a complaint, NIEA Officers visited a site on the Sconce Road, Castlerock. They observed an area of in-filled controlled waste that included construction and demolition waste of brick, concrete, clay and plasterboard. Also present was burnt waste, domestic scrap metal waste and an end of life vehicle.
Checks revealed the site belonged to Raymond Dallas and was not authorised for any type of waste activity. At interview, Raymond Dallas admitted to transporting the waste to the site and using the site in connection with his business, RM Dallas, Construction and Landscaping.
Further NIEA site visits between July 2017 and March 2018 revealed Raymond Dallas had added more waste to the site during the investigation. Mr Dallas failed to comply with a Departmental Notice to remove the waste and as such, the waste remains on site. NIEA investigations estimated the waste tonnage on this unauthorised site at 1,255 tonnes.
Raymond Dallas plead guilty to all charges at a previous hearing on 4 January 2019.
NIEA strives to achieve a clean healthy environment and also enforces environmental legislation in order to maintain a level playing field for legitimate operators.
Notes to editors:
- Raymond Dallas pleaded guilty to the following counts under each of the following Articles of the Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) 1997:
five counts for 4(1)(a) The Unlawful Deposit of waste
five counts for 4(1)(b) Unlawful Keeping of waste
one count for 4(1)(b) Unlawful treating of waste
one count for 4(1)(c) Disposing of controlled waste in a manner likely to cause pollution.
- 160 hours community service order across all charges.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- BDG member uses benchmarking data to improve enterprise performance 14 February 2019
- DAERA seeks views on the future of CAFRE Higher Education tuition fees 14 February 2019
- Farmers to note the online submission for Nitrates Derogation records 13 February 2019
- R&A Greenkeeping Scholarship a first for Callum 12 February 2019