Mr. Robert Gracey (59) of Crossan Road, Mayobridge, Newry was today found guilty at Laganside Magistrates' Court, Belfast, in his absence, to one breach of the Fisheries Act (Northern Ireland) 1966 and fined a total of £90.
On the 22 April 2022 during a routine inspection of fish dealers offering fish for sale, namely salmon, trout, and eels, at St George's Market in Belfast, it was discovered that Mr Gracey was offering salmon for sale without the appropriate fish dealer's licence and therefore had no commercial fish dealer’s logbook available for inspection. It was explained to Mr Gracey that this was a suspected breach of legislation as outlined under section 113 of the Fisheries Act (NI) 1966. Mr Gracey was fined £75 for the offence along with an offender levy of £15.
The outcome in this case demonstrates the commitment of DAERA Inland Fisheries enforcement staff in pursuing those whose actions may have a detrimental impact on fish stocks and to ensure the appropriate licence is in place.
If you are aware or suspect illegal fishing, you should contact DAERA Inland Fisheries on 0300 200 7860 or outside office hours contact 0800 807 060.
Notes to editors:
- Robert Gracey was found guilty on 7 March 2023 to one breach of the Fisheries Act (Northern Ireland) 1966 and fined a total of £90.
- Mr Gracey had previous detections for the same offence in 2019 and 2021.
- Under section 113 of the Fisheries Act (NI) 1966 as amended it is an offence to offer for sale salmon, trout, and eels without a fish dealer's licence.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Control noxious weeds now 20 March 2023
- Co. Down skippers fined for fishing offences 20 March 2023
- Short pause of TB testing as next stage of NIFAIS goes live 16 March 2023
- Adding value to food waste streams at Loughry Campus 15 March 2023