On 20th September 2019 Stephen O Neill (47) of Altaglushan Road Galbally Dungannon was sentenced to 240 hours community service at Omagh Crown Court for waste offences. He had previously plead guilty to all charges on 13 September 2018.
The five charges relate to offences under the Waste and Contaminated Land (NI) Order 1997, which occurred between 5 November 2015 and 7 September 2016. These included unlawful deposit, keeping and treating of waste and waste pollution offences.
On 5 November 2015 NIEA officers, on routine duties, discovered a large deposit of baled waste on a farmyard off the Altaglushan Road. Following this discovery the Department undertook five intrusive surveys on the farm, supported by the PSNI. They identified in excess of 5,300 tonnes of controlled waste, deposited and buried within a number of areas throughout the farm. Much of this waste was buried in agricultural land used for grazing while other deposits were close to domestic dwellings. Some of this waste had also been burnt.
The waste identified included domestic, commercial and industrial waste; comprising of food packaging waste, shredded plastics, crushed glass waste, mixed household waste, metals, tyres, shredded and flaked plastics and green waste. The waste had been processed and baled prior to arriving at this rural site.
Following the Department’s investigation and two arrests, Mr O Neill was charged with waste offending.
Notes to editors:
1.Stephen O’Neill pleaded guilty on 13 September 2019 to 5 charges under the Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997.
- 1 x Article 4(1)(a) – depositing waste at an unauthorised site
- 3 x Article 4(1)(b) – treating/keeping of waste at an unauthorised site
- 1 x Article 4(1)(c) – keeping waste in a manner likely to cause pollution or harm to human health
3. All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on: 028 9052 4619 or via email Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Top tips for managing your EFS agreement and claim 15 October 2019
- Lough Neagh fishermen fined for breaching Fisheries Act 15 October 2019
- Unlock your herd’s potential – Dairy Conference 2019 15 October 2019
- Advance Direct Payments to commence 15 October 2019