A new environment fund aimed at making it easier for people to connect with the natural environment has been launched today by the Department for Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).
David Small, Chief Executive of the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA), said the Environmental Challenge Competition will also provide capital funding to projects working to protect habitats.
“I am delighted to announce this £400,000 funding boost which will not only help improve our health, support our environment and precious habitats, but also support jobs within the sector.
“We will be looking for applications from not-for-profit organisations and local councils for projects that will provide new paths and recreation infrastructure such as walking trails or a greenway route. We also want to hear from applicants wanting to purchase land essential for the management of our priority habitats and species or for recreation infrastructure. We are also interested in the creation of data products, particularly for outdoor recreation, that will use technology to improve access to the outdoors and encourage greater participation,” he explained.
“We want to deliver a living, working, active landscape valued by everyone and this new fund provides a great opportunity for local organisations, who are passionate about the environment, to help us do just that. I am always impressed by the levels of partnership working and the enthusiasm of volunteers in the sector and look forward to viewing their applications,” he added.
Mr Small said he expected the Environmental Challenge Competition to be oversubscribed and advised applicants to ensure they fully consider the eligibility criteria and environmental impact priorities before applying.
Today’s announcement is part of DAERA’s wider Environment Fund and follows the launch of the 2019-22 Strategic Strand earlier this year.
The closing date for applications is noon on 27 August.
Notes to editors:
- The Environment Fund is one of the mechanisms through which the proceeds of the carrier bag levy have been used to enable not-for-profit organisations and councils to deliver key environmental priorities across Northern Ireland. Download further information on the Environment Fund.
- Applications can be submitted up until noon on 27 August.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Options available under DAERA’s Environmental Farming Scheme (Wider) 20 August 2019
- Better Farm Beef Challenge NI Autumn Walks 20 August 2019
- Belfast man given £7,500 fine and suspended sentence for waste offences 20 August 2019
- A slice of ‘American Pie’ for Claire! 20 August 2019