The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) today published ‘Digest of statistics for salmon and inland fisheries in the DAERA jurisdiction’.
These statistics give an overview of the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) fisheries sector in Northern Ireland. The latest available data have been drawn together from a number of published and unpublished sources.
Key statistics from the report are summarised below:
- There were 26,190 angling licences and 17,225 DAERA permits sold in 2017.
- 2,601 rod licences and 2,558 permits were checked in the DAERA public angling estate in 2017/18.
- More than 133,000 takeable sized trout were stocked from Movanagher fish farm for recreational angling in 2017, 124,250 of which were stocked to the DAERA Public Angling Estate with the remaining 8,759 going to private angling waters.
- There were approximately 189,000 salmon fry stocked from Bushmills Hatchery to rivers in Northern Ireland in 2017.
- Almost 18,500 salmon smolts were counted on the River Bush at the Bushmills smolt trap in 2017.
- 1.3 million elvers were naturally recruited to Lough Neagh in 2017, more than the average for the previous 10 year period (2007 - 2016) of 0.81 million.
- 43.5 tonnes of silver eels were transported downstream of hydro-electric turbines in the Lough Erne system in 2017, above the average for the previous five years (2012-2016).
Notes to editors:
1. The Fisheries digest report was prepared by Statistics and Analytical Services Branch, Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs, Dundonald House, Upper Newtownards Road, Belfast, BT4 3SB.
2. The year of data is indicated in each table and figure, with 2017 being the most recent data available. The data may be subject to change at a later date due to revisions.
3. The Fisheries Digest presents findings on the following topics:
- Location of the DAERA Public Angling Estate
- Salmonid conservation
- Eel conservation
- Lake Fish Surveys
- DAERA fish farms and hatchery
- Protection and enforcement
- Licenses and permits
- Demographics of anglers
5. All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- A timely reminder of changes to record keeping for High Phosphorous poultry manure 23 January 2020
- Northern Ireland Greenhouse Gas Projection Statistics Released 23 January 2020
- Minister Poots extends closing date to Business Development Groups Scheme 22 January 2020
- Increase farming knowledge and skills by joining a Business Development Group 22 January 2020