Today at Dungannon Magistrates’ Court, factory worker Robert McClean, 64, of Annaghquin Road, Rock, Dungannon was sentenced for illegally infilling an area of birch bog with waste. In addition to his £500 fine, he was ordered to pay £226.63 costs and an offender levy of £15.
On 8 April 2014, officers from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency responded to complaints of large-scale dumping at land adjacent to 29 Annaghquin Road, Rock, Dungannon. On investigation, officers found an area of birch bog approximately 75 x 75 metres infilled with waste including clay soil, plastics, ceramic, wood, construction and demolition waste, shrubs and tree branches (2,142 tonnes in total).
Over the next two years, officers returned four times to the site, where the deposits were found to have increased. When Mr McClean was identified as the owner of the land, he was issued with a legal notice requiring the removal of the waste from the site. When the site was cleared, it was said to have cost £6,000.
Notes to editors:
1. Robert McClean had been charged under the following Articles of the Waste and Contaminated Land Order (Northern Ireland) 1997:
- Article 4(1)(a) – two counts of depositing of controlled waste in or on land unless a waste management licence authorising the deposit is in force and the deposit is in accordance with the licence. One of these charges attracted the £500 fine.
- Article 4 (1)(b) - one count of keeping controlled waste, or knowingly cause or knowingly permit controlled waste to be kept on any land except and under and in accordance with a waste management licence.
One of the Article 4(1)(a) charges and the Article 4(1)(b) charge received a conditional discharge.
2. Follow us on Twitter @daera_ni.
3. All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Packaging success at Loughry for Brian O’Neill, Kerry, Coleraine 25 July 2017
- Bursary awarded to CAFRE Equine student 24 July 2017
- One week left to accept EFS Wider Level Agreements 24 July 2017
- Major success for local school at Loughry Awards Day 24 July 2017