County Down arable farmer David Sandford of Portloughan Farm, Strangford is a Habitat Technology Demonstration Farmer (TDF) and will host an online farm tour on Monday 19 September at 7.30pm
The 70-hectare farm consists of 30 hectares of arable crops, 24 hectares of woodland, 2 ha of Christmas Trees and 14 hectares of other habitats such as ponds, field margins and Environmental Farming Scheme (EFS) options.
CAFRE’s Biodiversity Technologist, Nicola Warden comments: “This is a brilliant opportunity for farmers anywhere to hear from one of our leading agri-environmental farmers and ask questions about habitat creation and what options within EFS may be appropriate for their own farm.”
David reflects on becoming one of the Farm Habitat TDF farmers and his decades of experience about schemes: “I am enthusiastic about agri-environment schemes and have been involved in the schemes for many years. Through previous schemes and EFS, I have been able to assist wildlife and biodiversity on my farm by creating habitats and providing winter-feed sources alongside the arable and forestry enterprises on the farm. The schemes are there to reward farmers for doing such work and the TDF system allows me to demonstrate the positive impact of habitat creation and how it fits into my farm enterprises.”
EFS Wider Tranche 6 is open for new applications until Friday 23 September. More information is available on the DAERA website. CAFRE staff will be available to answer any EFS queries online after David’s presentation.
To attend the event pre-registration is required. Please visit the events section of the CAFRE website.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DAERA seeks six new Members for CAFRE’s College Advisory Group 22 September 2022
- Drinking Water Quality remains high across Northern Ireland 22 September 2022
- Re-opening of Tier 1 of FBIS Capital focus on higher input costs 22 September 2022
- Minister Poots praises Zone 1 farmers who have registered for the Soil Nutrient Health Scheme 21 September 2022