The appointment of Board Member Patrick McElroy will be extended to 31 January 2021.
Mr Poots said: “This extension to the term of appointment of Mr Patrick McElroy will provide continuity to the LMC and allow it to continue with its important function of supporting, examining and informing the marketing and development of the Northern Ireland beef and sheep meat industry.”
Notes to editors:
1. The LMC was established under the Livestock Marketing Commission Act (NI) 1967. It is an Executive Non Departmental Public Body and is sponsored by DAERA. The main duty of the LMC, as stated in the 1967 Act, is to examine and recommend improvements in the marketing of livestock and livestock products.
2. Mr. Patrick McElroy was appointed to the LMC Board in February 2014. He is currently a Director of Artillery One Limited, Artillery Two Limited and Refineblend Limited. From 1997 to 2007 he was Company Accountant at Omagh Meats. He has significant financial experience at a senior level in the meat processing industry and, in addition to his financial skills, brings experience and a good understanding of the issues facing the red meat processing sector to the work which the LMC does.
3. LMC Board Member positions are remunerated at c.£6,500 per annum.
4. The above appointment was initially made on 1 February 2014 by the then DARD Minister on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr McElroy was re-appointed to a second term by the then DAERA Minister commencing from 1 February 2017. Mr McElroy’s second term was previously extended from 1 February to 31 July 2020.
5. This extension complies with the Commissioner for Public Appointments in Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice.
7. All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
8. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Attention to detail essential for successful potato desiccation following Diquat withdrawal 13 August 2020
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 13 August 2020
- Trees that are ‘delightful to the eye' are also useful to humans and a haven for wildlife 13 August 2020
- EFS applicants can avail of support at DAERA Direct offices 12 August 2020