The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has announced the extension to the term of appointment of Dr A. H. Kirkpatrick as Chair of the Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside (CNCC).
Dr Kirkpatrick was a member of CNCC from 2009 to 2014 and Chair from March 2014. Dr Kirkpatrick’s first term as Chair of CNCC has been extended by twelve months until 31 August 2018.
Notes to editors:
- CNCC is a Statutory Advisory Council to DAERA established under the Nature Conservation and Amenity Lands (Amendment) (Northern Ireland) Order 1989.
- The aim of CNCC is to provide independent advice to the Department on matters affecting the Countryside and Nature Conservation. CNCC does not employ any staff although it is provided with support staff by DAERA.
- The post attracts a salary of £9,740 per annum and expenses incurred while carrying out the duties of the post are met.
- This appointment extension was made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Dr Kirkpatrick has not carried out any political activity in the past five years and does not currently hold any other public appointments.
- Dr A.H. Kirkpatrick is a freelance environmental consultant from the foothills of the Sperrins and has lectured in Environmental Science and Conservation Management in the University of Ulster and the University of Stirling as well as working for statutory nature conservation bodies in both policy and advisory roles. Dr Kirkpatrick is an active member of the Rural European Platform and an author and co-author of scientific reports, books chapters and general articles on nature conservation.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 30 November 2023
- Conference to help dairy farmers reduce labour demand and improve productivity 29 November 2023
- DAERA announces pioneering Net Zero Accelerator Program 29 November 2023
- Improving the Resilience of Dairy Farms 28 November 2023