Kenneth Boyd (53) of Magherabeg Road in Dromore, County Down, was today convicted at Newry Magistrates' Court of one charge of transporting an animal that was not fit for the journey.
Mr Boyd pleaded guilty and was fined £250 plus £15 offender levy.
The case arose when a DAERA Official Veterinarian (OV), at an abattoir, examined an animal presented by Mr Boyd. The animal was in very poor body condition and was displaying signs of severe lameness, with its back arched while standing and walking, and several of the animal’s joints were clearly swollen. It was the OV’s professional opinion that animal was unfit to be transported.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Boyd was convicted on one charge of, transporting a bovine animal which was not fit for the journey, contrary to Regulations 5(1)(a) of the Welfare of Animals (Transport) Regulations (Northern Ireland) and Council Regulation (EC) No 1/2005.
- The Department gives high priority to the welfare of animals and operates a vigorous enforcement policy to ensure full compliance of regulatory requirements. Any breaches are investigated thoroughly and offenders prosecuted as necessary.
- The Welfare of Animals (Transport) Regulations (NI) 2006 also requires that animals must be fit to travel and must be cared for if they fall ill or are injured during transport. The animals must be accompanied by competent persons and must be transported to their destinations without undue delay. All those who have animals in their care either on farm, in transit or at slaughter have a duty of care to look after that animals’ welfare.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Open Farm Weekend events at Greenmount and Enniskillen Campuses 08 June 2023
- Loughry Summer Food Alumni event 08 June 2023
- May stocking of Departmental waters 02 June 2023
- Hydro Electric Operator fined for fisheries related offences 02 June 2023