Today at Belfast Magistrates' Court, ISL Waste Management Ltd pleaded guilty and were fined £5,000 plus £15 Offenders Levy for allowing an unconsented discharge to enter a waterway.
On 6 April 2016, a Senior Water Quality Inspector examined the River Blackwater, a tributary of the Ballymartin/Sixmilewater at Park Road, Mallusk, and observed that it had a dark discolouration and an oily film on the surface. The inspector proceeded to Central Park, Mallusk and arrived at the rear of ISL’s premises. The Inspector discovered skips were being power washed. The dark coloured, oily discharge which contained flecks of orange was flowing along the roadside before entering a surface water gully.
In accordance with procedures, a sample of the discharge was collected and analysed. The inspector added green fluorescein dye to the drain, a short time later the dye was observed in the waterway. The impact of the discharge on the waterway was visible for a distance of two kilometres.
Anyone wishing to report a pollution incident can call the 24 hour Water Pollution Hotline on: 0800 80 70 60.
Notes to editors:
- ISL Waste Management Limited was charged for the offence on 6 April 2016 discharged trade or sewage effluent into a waterway or water contained in any underground strata or from land through a pipe into the sea outside the seaward limits of any waterway, namely the river Blackwater, contrary to Article 7(2) of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 as amended by the Water and Sewerage Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Time is running out to protect our endangered environment warns chief 18 September 2019
- Co Down postgraduate students win DAERA awards 18 September 2019
- Today’s research shaping the agri-food industry of tomorrow 17 September 2019
- Better Farm Beef Challenge NI Autumn Walks 16 September 2019