The joint venture responsible for building the new A6 dual carriageway has pleaded guilty to one offence of water pollution and been fined £10,000 by Londonderry Magistrates Court today.
Sacyr, Wills Bros Ltd and Somague Joint Venture entered a guilty plea under Article 7(1)(a) of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 (as amended by the Water and Sewerage Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006).
The court heard that between 20 June 2019 and 9 November 2020, NIEA Water Quality Inspectors investigated 14 separate incidents of water pollution affecting a number of tributaries of the River Faughan and River Roe.
The incidents occurred during the construction phase of the new A6 dual carriageway between Dungiven and Drumahoe.
The River Faughan and River Roe are important salmonid catchment areas and designated as Special Areas of Conservation for the North Atlantic Salmon.
During a number of the pollution response investigations, inspectors found high concentrations of suspended solids discharged to the waterways which impacted up to 8km of the River Faughan and River Roe catchment areas.
The court heard that such concentrations can have an abrasive effect upon the gills of fish, making them susceptible to infection and can also interfere with their respiration. In addition, suspended solids can settle out in the watercourse and interfere with feeding and breeding habitats.
Anyone wishing to report a pollution incident can call the 24 hour NIEA Incident Hotline on: 0800 80 70 60.
Notes to editors:
- The defendant was charged under Article 7(1)(a) of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 (as amended by the Water and Sewerage Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006).
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook at http://twitter.com/daera_ni and http://www.facebook.com/daerani.gov.uk
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- May stocking of Departmental waters 02 June 2023
- Hydro Electric Operator fined for fisheries related offences 02 June 2023
- Brucellosis compensation rates for June 2023 31 May 2023
- Avian Influenza Prevention Zone in Northern Ireland lifted 31 May 2023