Robert Logan of Raloo Road, Larne, County Antrim was fined a total of £900 plus court costs of £31 in Ballymena Magistrates’ Court today for contravening the conditions of a discharge consent and failing to comply with the requirements of an Enforcement Notice, both issued by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).
A routine sample was collected on 1 August 2014 and analysis showed that the results exceeded the consent limits stipulated in the discharge consent issued by the Department.
On 29 August 2014, an Article 12 Enforcement Notice under the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 was issued to Mr Robert Logan because of the contravention of the discharge consent conditions on 1 August 2014. The Enforcement Notice required Mr Logan to take steps by 24 October 2014 to ensure compliance with the conditions in the discharge consent.
On 29 October 2014 a Water Quality Inspector (WQI), acting on behalf of the Northern Ireland Environment Agency collected a statutory sample from the sewage treatment plant serving Logan Gardens, Ballyclare. Analysis showed that the results exceeded the consent limits stipulated in the discharge consent issued by the Department.
On 10 December 2014 a Breach of Notice letter was issued to Mr Logan in respect of failing to meet the requirements of the Article 12 Notice and for failing to meet the conditions stipulated in the discharge consent.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Robert Logan was charged under Article 7(6) of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 with the offence of breaching conditions of a discharge consent issued by the Department and fined £400 and under Article 12 (3) for failing to comply with a requirement imposed by an enforcement notice and fined £500.
- Mr Robert Logan holds a consent to discharge under the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 which permits discharges to be made from a housing development at 202 Ballycor Road, BallyclareCorick House Ltd to a waterway under specific conditions.
- For media enquiries please contact DAERA Press Office or tel: 028 9052 4619. Out of office hours, contact the EIS Duty Press Officer on pager 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- CAFRE Equine Students on foaling duty 24 March 2017
- NIEA hosts international wildfire investigation seminar 23 March 2017
- Major conference tackles plant health risks 23 March 2017
- Northern Ireland Environmental Statistics Report released 23 March 2017