Northern Ireland Water Limited pleaded guilty and was fined a total of £5,000 plus £15 Offenders Levy at Ballymena Magistrates' Court today.
Samples of the effluent discharge at Grange Wastewater Treatment Works (WwTW), Co. Antrim, are collected and analysed by Northern Ireland Water Ltd. The results of the effluent discharge are sent to the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) to assess compliance with the Water Order Consent conditions.
Monitoring data results from the effluent discharge at Grange WwTW proved a breach of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 Article 12 Enforcement Notice which was issued on 22 May 2017. The Notice contained details of improvement works required to be undertaken by Northern Ireland Water Ltd to allow the conditions of a discharge consent issued by the Department to be met. The conditions of the Notice were required to be met by 30 April 2018.
Between 7 August 2018 and 21 August 2018 samples were collected and analysed in accordance with procedures. The samples failed to comply with the conditions of a discharge consent issued by the Department.
Anyone wishing to report a pollution incident can call the 24 hour Water Pollution Hotline on: 0800 80 70 60.
Notes to editors:
- Northern Ireland Water Ltd were charged and fined £2,500 under Article 7A 3(a) of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999, where it failed to comply with the conditions of a Water Order Consent contrary to Article 7(6) of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 as amended by the Water and Sewerage Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006; and charged and fined £2,500 for failing to comply with a requirement imposed by an Enforcement Notice contrary to Article 12(3) of the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Bakery Retail Food Safari 12 December 2019
- DAERA fund innovative research through 2020 Postgraduate Studentship scheme 10 December 2019
- CAFRE students raise £1,000 for Enniskillen disability charity 10 December 2019
- NI’S Chief Vet comments on Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) confirmation 10 December 2019