The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) online system for submitting applications for a Nutrient Action Programme (NAP) derogation in 2023 and the submission of 2022 fertilisation accounts for derogated farms, is now open.
The NAP Derogation is vital to some Northern Ireland cattle farms with higher stocking rates. Subject to meeting certain nutrient management and environmental criteria, it enables farmers to better utilise the nutrients within grazing livestock manures and operate more efficiently at a higher stocking rate.
Farmers are encouraged to check their farm nitrogen loading figures via the Department’s online services DAERA Online Services and apply for a derogation if necessary. Farmers who intend to apply for a derogation, must prepare a fertilisation plan for their holding by 1 March and keep it updated during the year.
Farmers can submit their applications at: DAERA online services for 2023 applications and submission of 2022 records. Applications and records must be submitted by 1 March 2023.
For non-derogated farms, records of 2022 organic manure exports must be submitted via DAERA Online Services by 31 January 2023.
Failure to submit Manure export / Derogation records on time could result in a penalty being applied to the Basic Payment.
Notes to editors:
- The submission deadline date for applications for 2023 NAP Derogations and submission of 2022 records is 23:59 on the 1 March 2023. Please note that fertilisation plans for 2023 must be prepared by the 1 March and be available on farm from this date.
- For non-derogated farms, records of 2022 organic manure exports must be submitted via DAERA Online Services by 31 January 2023.
- Having a derogation allows farmers to operate up to a manure Nitrogen Loading limit of 250 kg N/ha/year, compared to the general limit of 170 kg N/ha/year in the Nutrients Action Programme. This means they can maximise the use of manure nutrients on their farm and reduce their use of additional chemical fertilisers.
- The CAFRE N Loading Calculator, which is available at DAERA Online Services, can be used to calculate a farm’s N Loading.
- The NAP Derogation Guidance 2019-2022, NAP Derogation Fertilisation Plan 2019-2022 and NAP Derogation Fertilisation Account 2019-2022 booklets are available at: www.daera-ni.gov.uk/nutrientsactionprogramme2019-2022.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays
- Optimising nutrient use efficiency webinars 27 January 2023
- In field ammonia emission mitigations – Using Protected Urea Fertiliser and Low Emission Slurry Spreading Equipment to reduce ammonia emissions 26 January 2023
- Pay increase for Agricultural Workers 26 January 2023
- DAERA appoints five new members to CAFRE College Advisory Group 24 January 2023