Mr Kostas Liebus (57) of Deramore Drive in Portadown was today found guilty at Craigavon Magistrates' Court of two breaches of legislation and fisheries regulations prescribed under the Fisheries Act (Northern Ireland) 1966, namely unlicensed fishing and fishing on the Department's (PAE) Public Angling Estate waters without a permit.
Mr Liebus was given a £65 fine, which included a £15 offender levy.
On 14 February 2022, DAERA Fisheries Protection Officers were on routine patrol of DAERA (PAE) at the Upper Bann in Portadown when they observed Mr Liebus fishing with two rods; after a check of his fishing licence and permit it was discovered that Mr Liebus had a DAERA game rod licence and game permit which only permitted him the use of one fishing rod.
The total fine of £65 consisted of fines of £25 for each offence along with an offender levy of £15.
DAERA Inland Fisheries enforcement is committed to pursue those who fish without the correct licence and permissions. If you are aware or suspect illegal fishing, you should contact DAERA Inland Fisheries on 0300 200 7860 or outside normal office hours contact 0800 80 70 60.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Kostas Liebus was found guilty of two breaches of the Fisheries Act (Northern Ireland) 1966 and associated regulations and was given a £65 fine which included a £15 offender levy.
- The Upper Bann from Lough Neagh to Point of Whitecoat is part of the Department's (PAE) Public Angling Estate and a DAERA rod licence and permit (Coarse or Game) is required to fish lawfully at this location.
- A DAERA game rod licence and game permit only permit the use of one fishing rod on the Department's (PAE).
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- DAERA seeks six new Members for CAFRE’s College Advisory Group 22 September 2022
- Drinking Water Quality remains high across Northern Ireland 22 September 2022
- Re-opening of Tier 1 of FBIS Capital focus on higher input costs 22 September 2022
- Still time to get your EFS Wider Tranche 6 application in - Poots 21 September 2022