The requirements for exporting Animal products and Animal by Products (ABP) vary depending on the category/type of product/ABP and where are you are exporting it to. When you have determined what (if any) certification is required you can find details on how to apply for the required export certificates below.

Before you start

Exports to European Union (EU) Member States (excluding manure to the ROI)

If you need an Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC) to export your animal product/ABP to an EU Member State you can obtain one by following the steps below:

  1. Register with the TRACES system if you’ve not used it before.
  2. Sign in to TRACES and fill in the details of the animal products you’re exporting
  3. Contact your local DAERA office to advise them that the ITAHC has been created and give them details of your AVI.
  4. Your certificate will be sent to your AVI who will make arrangements to inspect and complete the ITAHC.  

Alternatively complete the TRACES application form and submit it to your local DAERA office.

Exporting ABP to GB and countries outside the EU and exporting manure only to the ROI

If you need an Export Health Certificate (EHC) to export your animal product/ABP to GB or a TC you can obtain one by following the steps below:

In order to begin your application on the DAERA Export Certification Online system (DECOL) you will need to have completed the EHC application and have any supporting documents ready for upload.

You can obtain the EHC application via the Defra form finder.  Guidance on using the tool is available in the DECOL exporter’s instructions at the link below:

PDF EHC applications for manure to the ROI are available at the link below:

If you need digital help to complete an application for an Export Health Certificate (EHC) for live animals and animal products please contact your regional DAERA Direct Office for assistance.

If there is insufficient space on the EHC application to record full product details you need to complete a schedule and submit this with your application.   The schedule and instructions for completion are available using the link below:

Exporters should review the Notes for Guidance for each certificate (available via the Defra Form Finder) to ascertain if import permits or importing authority approvals are also required.  Where they are these should be obtained from the importing authorities prior to applying for an EHC and uploaded along with all other application documents via DECOL.

Exporters should complete a nominate Authorised Veterinary Inspector (AVI) template and submit this with their application.  All export documentation will be issued directly to the nominated AVI once we have processed the application.

Start your Export Health Certificate Application

Back to top