When exporting a balai, zoo or exotic animal such as a lion, gorilla, alpaca, camel, certain captive birds or a kangaroo the rules you must follow will depend on the country you are exporting to.

Before you start

In order to begin your application on the DAERA Export Certification Online system (DECOL) you will need to have completed the export health certificate (EHC) application and have any supporting documents ready for upload.

Exports to European Union (EU) Member States

If you need an Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC) to export your animal to an EU Member State you can obtain one by following the steps below:

  1. Register with the TRACES system if you’ve not used it before.
  2. Sign in to TRACES and fill in the details of the live animals you’re exporting
  3. Contact your local DAERA office to advise them that the ITAHC has been created and give them details of your AVI.
  4. Your certificate will be sent to your AVI who will make arrangements to inspect and complete the ITAHC. 

Alternatively complete the application form and submit it to your local DAERA office.

Exporting to GB and countries outside the EU

You can obtain the EHC application via the Defra form finder.  Guidance on using the tool is available in the DECOL exporter’s instructions at the link below:

If you need digital help to complete an application for an Export Health Certificate (EHC) for live animals and animal products please contact your regional DAERA Direct Office for assistance.

You should review the Notes for Guidance (NFG) for each certificate (available via the Defra Form Finder) to ascertain if import permits or importing authority approvals are also required.  Where they are these should be obtained from the importing authorities prior to applying for an EHC and uploaded along with all other application documents via DECOL.

The NFG may also advise you need to complete an Owner/exporter declaration.  Where one is needed template declaration is available at the link below:

If you need further assistance completing your declaration please contact your DAERA Regional office for assistance.

Start your Export Health Certificate Application

Back to top