The NISF provides an opportunity for the members of the group to feedback details of news, exchange ideas, new research findings, best practice on how to help conserve red and control grey squirrels.
The NISF is chaired by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) and has representation from:
- Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) - Countryside Management
- DAERA - Forest Service
- Local Authority Biodiversity Officers
- The National Trust
- Ulster Wildlife
- The Mourne Heritage Trust
- Belfast Zoo
- Queens University Belfast
- The Strangford and Lecale Partnership
- Abercorn Estates Ltd
- Shanescastle Estate Company Ltd
- Scottish Woodlands Ltd
- The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC)
- The Scottish Association for Country Sports (SACS)
- The local squirrel groups
Northern Ireland currently has eight Red Squirrel volunteer Groups who work with the statutory agencies and land owners to secure the future of the red squirrel
You can record sightings of red and grey squirrels in Northern Ireland online on the Centre for Environmental Data and Recording (CEDaR) website.
You can also record sightings of pine marten in Northern Ireland.