The Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) has published its Prosperity Agreement Programme for 2019 and 2020, which covers the progress of companies holding Prosperity Agreements during that period.
Launched in 2014, Prosperity Agreements are voluntary agreements through which NIEA and an organisation can explore opportunities for reducing environmental impacts in ways that create prosperity.
Following the report’s publication, Environment Minister Edwin Poots MLA said: “I commend the companies profiled in this document for their ongoing commitment to addressing environmental challenges in this positive and collaborative way. I look forward to further successful partnership opportunities to help both business and government deliver for the people of Northern Ireland."
Minister Poots continued: “In order to meet our Programme for Government and New Decade New Approach commitments to reduce emissions and tackle climate and environment challenges, I have prioritised the development of a cross-cutting Green Growth Strategy, which my Department is leading, on behalf of the NI Executive. The Green Growth Strategy is a multi-decade strategy which will set out the long-term vision and a solid framework for tackling the climate crisis in the right way to deliver a cleaner environment, more efficient use of our resources within a circular economy and provide more green jobs."
Concluding, the Minister said: “With the COP26 Climate Change Summit being held in Glasgow next month, the focus for UK Government is to accelerate action towards achieving the goals of the Paris agreement. Many businesses are already thinking green – they are doing the right thing and reaping the benefits. We want to continue to work with progressive organisations like these, who are committed to sustainable growth whilst also enhancing the environment.”
Notes to editors:
- DAERA is taking a collaborative approach in developing a multi-decade ‘Green Growth’ strategy and Climate Action Plan.
- The UK Government is hosting the UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties – COP26, in Glasgow 1st November – 12th November 2021. Download more information about COP26.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.