Food products with targeted nutritional claims are in high demand so when food entrepreneur Shane Ryan of EatFeed identified an opportunity for a meat free ready meal with a high protein claim, Shane realised that he needed to consult with a food technologist.
Shane knew that CAFRE, Loughry Campus had the best facilities and technical expertise and could help him deliver the project. Shane had two great tasting products but as soon as he added extra protein, the texture and flavour were totally disrupted. So with the help of CAFRE food technologist, Peggy McVey, they went back to the drawing board. With completely reformulating the products and to meet the legal requirements for the high protein claim whilst preserving the taste and texture of the original products.
Shane launched the products to the market in July 2017and they are now listed in more than 60 retail outlets, with a further 50 scheduled stores listing in November.
CAFRE, Loughry Campus provides technical and development support to food companies in all areas of food manufacture. If you are interested in working with a technologist at Loughry, please contact Dr Raymond Martin on 028 8676 8133 or via email.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Chief Vet urges vigilance on Avian Influenza 09 June 2023
- Planned next release of NIFAIS for Monday 12 June 2023 postponed 09 June 2023
- Open Farm Weekend events at Greenmount and Enniskillen Campuses 08 June 2023
- Loughry Summer Food Alumni event 08 June 2023