More than 19,000 farm businesses right across Northern Ireland will receive advance CAP payments from Monday, Agriculture Minister Michelle McIlveen said today.
Miss McIlveen said: “This is very good news for our farmers. Northern Ireland is the first part of the United Kingdom to introduce advance payments and we have done so because we understand their value to our farming community. I have long been aware that many farmers are facing significant challenges and, from the moment I was appointed, I was determined to introduce advance payments to help.
“I am therefore pleased to announce that, from Monday, more than 19,000 farm businesses in all parts of Northern Ireland will receive 70% of their 2016 Basic Payment allocation. Funds will arrive in bank accounts by Thursday (20 October). These advance payments should help ease some of the immediate pressures on farmers.”
The Minister said that her Department will aim to issue advance payments to 80% of eligible farm business with full payments being made to 95% of farmers by end of December 2016.
She added: “Farmers who receive 70% of their Basic Payment this month will receive the remainder of their allocation in December 2016. My Department is committed to making 95% complete payments by the end of December 2016.”
Miss McIlveen said the increase in the number of farmers who submitted their Single Application online in 2016 had help make advance payments possible.
She said: “It is clear for all to see the advantages of submitting Single Applications online, with my decision to introduce advance payments. This year 62% of farm businesses submitted their Single Application via the online system, an increase of 16% on 2015. Submitting applications online allows my officials to spend less time checking and devote more resources into ensuring that more farmers receive full payment earlier.”
Notes to editors:
- European Commission Regulations permit advance payments of up to 70% of individual value to be issued from 16 October 2016.
- The exchange rate for 2016 is €1 = £0.85228.
- The Direct Payment ceiling is €326.69million.
- The Greening Payment rate has also been confirmed at 44.656336%.
- Direct Payments in the UK are paid in sterling except where the farmer elects for payment in Euro by the deadline for submission of Single Applications.
- Payments will be made in the chosen currency by electronic transfer into the farm business bank account.
- Follow us on Twitter @daera_ni.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that the out of office hours pager number has changed. Any queries, please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Applications are invited for a Study Tour to the Netherlands – Innovations in hatching and commercial egg production 28 September 2023
- Making the dairy business more resilient 28 September 2023
- Water users urged to enhance biosecurity 28 September 2023
- New deadline to provide evidence on impact of air pollution on environment 27 September 2023