Recently, the parents and guardians of the Level 2 Diploma in Horse Care students attended Enniskillen Campus to get an update on what the students have been learning and their progression on the course.
The day started with the students giving a presentation on the units that they undertake as part of the course. The year manager for the group, Kathryn Hazlett, then spoke about the impending five week work placement which the students were preparing to go on. This then led us on to the practical session of the day. The tour started in the racing yard where two of the students demonstrated tacking up for the races and grooming, explaining each brush to the audience.
We then moved on to the Equitation yard where Lauren Gilchrist (Castlederg) and Keavy Molloy (Ballymena) had been busy painting the muscles on to one of the equitation horses – Max. They then discussed the muscles and what the horse uses them for when being ridden. The visitors then moved on to the forge and the Pre Farrier students displayed and discussed the pieces which they have been making over the course of the year.
The grand finale was held in the indoor where four students performed a drill ride for the parents. This was a great show piece and the amount of practice put into this by the students, Zoya Robinson (Portadown), Kurtis Camlin (Portavogie), Tegan Glackin (Sion Mills) and Shannon Connor (Newcastle) was very evident.
The day ended by heading back up to the main campus building to get warmed up and the parents / guardians had the opportunity to chat to the course manager and year manager regarding the student’s progress. The day was thoroughly enjoyed by all who attended.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter: @daera_ni.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office, firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Ballymoney man given suspended sentence for illegal car breaking 16 February 2018
- Dream deal agreed with mattress recycler and NIEA 16 February 2018
- Thousands apply for second tranche of Farm Business Improvement Scheme 14 February 2018
- CAFRE Nutrient Calculators – Helping you work out the answers! 14 February 2018