CAFRE offers a range of agricultural short courses with the aim of developing people in the land-based and rural sectors.
These courses are suitable for farmers/growers, farm family members, people over 16 years old, and those working in or operating agri-food and rural businesses.
Short courses normally range in duration from one to 10 days. Most lead to validated qualifications or recognised Certificates of Competence.
All professional users of pesticides must have a ‘Certificate of Competence’. CAFRE offers a range of City and Guilds approved pesticide/spraying courses.
Different types of pesticide application equipment need a different ‘Certificate of Competence’ and all students are required to initially take and pass a PA1 theory module before they can complete the practical unit.
Once the PA1 theory unit has successfully been completed students can add a range of practical units including weep wiper application as required
The next weed wiper course will be delivered at Greenmount Campus on 30 January 2019.
The course covers:
- Knowledge of the sprayer
- Interpreting product label
- Checking the sprayer
- Calibrating the sprayer
- Preparing and adding pesticide to tank
- Carrying out an environmental risk assessment
- Applying the pesticide
- Cleaning and records
Candidates must be competent ATV drivers in order to complete this module.
The course is assessed by an approved City & Guilds Assessor using one to one questioning and by application over a specified area.
All courses are delivered by experienced instructors who guide and assist participants through the training and assessment process.
To book a place and attend the weed wiper course at CAFRE, go to the CAFRE website.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Innovations in breeding and performance recording for efficient profitable sheep systems 21 August 2019
- Herbal leys improving performance on Co. Down farm 21 August 2019
- Better Farm Beef Challenge NI Autumn Walks 20 August 2019
- Belfast man given £7,500 fine and suspended sentence for waste offences 20 August 2019