The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) today announced that 94% of farmers in Northern Ireland have received an advance CAP payment in October 2017.
The payments, totalling £182.7million, were issued to 22,493 farm businesses, an increase of 1,382 on 2016 payments.
This record number of advance payments, which builds on the achievements of last year, has been made possible due to the significant increase in the number of farmers submitting their Single Application online, 99% in 2017. Claims made online are faster, more secure and more accurate. Advance payments could only be made on fully verified claims and the Department successfully obtained permission from the European Commission to make advance payments at 70% of claim value rather than 50%.
The number of businesses subject to a land inspection and which received an advance payment has more than trebled, from 258 in 2016 to 818 in 2017.
The Department has made a particular effort to issue advance payments to businesses affected by the flooding of 22/23 August 2017, with 92% of the affected businesses receiving payment.
Northern Ireland remains the only region of the United Kingdom to issue advance payments.
Balance payments, or full payments for those unable to receive an advance payment, will be made from 1 December 2017.
Notes to editors:
- The exchange rate for 2017 is €1 = £0.89470
- Direct Payments in the UK are paid in sterling except where the farmer elects for payment in Euro by the deadline for submission of Single Applications.
- Payments will be made in the chosen currency by electronic transfer into the farm business bank account.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Air Pollution in Northern Ireland 2017 report released 13 December 2018
- Farm Performance in 2017/18 booklet published 13 December 2018
- Start the New Year with CAFRE equine courses 13 December 2018
- DAERA extends appointment of the Chair of the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI) 12 December 2018