The Department of Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has undertaken a review of AFBI (Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute).
The aim of the review was to examine the form and function of AFBI, consider its capacity for delivering more effectively and efficiently, and ensure that the appropriate governance arrangements are in place which meet recognised principles of good corporate governance.
A spokesperson for the Department said: “The review sought views from businesses and organisations who interact with or use the scientific services provided by AFBI, as well as from others who wished to comment on how DAERA supports the science and technology needs of the agri-food industry and wider rural economy. Their input has been invaluable and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who took the time to participate.”
The review is now complete and the review report has been published today (7 September 2018) on the DAERA website.
Notes to editors:
- DAERA announced it was undertaking a review of AFBI in June 2017.
- All public bodies are subject to periodic review to ensure they remain effective and accountable. This review followed the Cabinet Office’s Tailored Review approach (“Tailored reviews: Guidance on Review of Public Bodies” Cabinet Office, November 2016).
- The review examined the role of AFBI, considered opportunities for AFBI to deliver its role more effectively and efficiently and examined whether governance arrangements for the organisation meet recognised principles of good corporate governance.
- AFBI is a Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB), sponsored by DAERA. It was established in 2006 under The Agriculture (Northern Ireland) Order 2004 which provides AFBI with the power to undertake scientific work in the fields of agriculture, animal health and welfare, food, fisheries, forestry, the natural environment and rural development and enterprise.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- CAFRE rush control event planned for Plumbridge, Co. Tyrone 23 August 2019
- Northern Ireland carrier bag levy annual statistics 2018/19 released 22 August 2019
- NIEA signs innovative environmental agreement with Dale Farm 22 August 2019
- Shoppers help pump £15million into protecting our environment 22 August 2019