Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs Minister Michelle McIlveen has announced that the exchange rate to be used to calculate 2016 Direct Payments is €1 = £0.85228.
On the basis of the new rate, it is estimated that the total net value of 2016 Direct Payment to local farmers will be boosted by £39million compared to 2015.
Announcing the exchange rate, the Minister highlighted her intention to make advance payments this year.
She said: “This exchange rate is an increase on last year’s rate and will be welcome news for local farm businesses as it will boost the amount of Direct Payment received in what has been a difficult year for our farmers.
“The Direct Payment remains an important element of farm incomes and I have committed to delivering advance payments in mid-October. My Department remains on track to achieve this.”
Direct Payments are set in Euro and converted to sterling each year using the exchange rate calculated in accordance with the EU regulations. In 2016, the rate is the average market rate for the month of September according to the European Central Bank.
Notes to editors:
- The exchange rate for 2016 was announced on 30 September 2016 and will be published in the Official Journal of the European Union.
- The exchange rate for 2015 was €1 = £0.73129.
- Direct Payments in the UK are paid in sterling except where the farmer elects for payment in Euro by the deadline for submission of Single Applications.
- Payments will be made in the chosen currency by electronic transfer into the farm business bank account.
- Follow us on Twitter @daera_ni.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- A timely reminder of changes to record keeping for High Phosphorous poultry manure 23 January 2020
- Northern Ireland Greenhouse Gas Projection Statistics Released 23 January 2020
- Minister Poots extends closing date to Business Development Groups Scheme 22 January 2020
- Increase farming knowledge and skills by joining a Business Development Group 22 January 2020