Environment Minister Edwin Poots has announced the appointment of Prof Julian Orford as the new Deputy Chair of the Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside (CNCC).
His appointment to the DAERA Statutory Advisory Body is effective from 1 November 2021 to 31 October 2024.
Confirming the new appointment Minister Poots said: “I welcome the appointment of Prof Julian Orford to the position of Deputy Chair of the Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside. His knowledge, skills and experience will provide the strategic leadership and guidance which is vital to change as CNCC continue their important work.”
Prof Julian Orford is Emeritus Professor of Physical Geography in the School of Natural and Built Environment, Queen’s University, Belfast. He was previously Head of Geography, and subsequently Head of the School of Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology in Queen's University. He has over 50 years experience in researching the geomorphology and sedimentology of coastal systems. He was a past member of the Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside (NI) and a past member of the National Trust’s National Nature Conservation Panel.
CNCC’s statutory functions include advising the Department on matters relating to nature conservation including Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Areas of Special Scientific Interest and nature reserves.
It also provides advice on the protection of wildlife species and on promotional and educational activities.
Notes to editors:
- CNCC Deputy Chair position is remunerated at £6,827 per annum.
- Political activity plays no part in the selection process, however, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Prof Orford has declared that he has had no political activity in the last five years.
- This appointment is made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland (CPA NI) Code of Practice.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- June stocking of Departmental waters 07 July 2022
- Apply now for CAFRE’s Level 2 Agricultural Business Operations Course before the closing date 07 July 2022
- Habitat is the key to farming with nature – Park Farmers visit CAFRE Enniskillen Campus and Fermanagh Technology Demonstration Farm 06 July 2022
- Insight into DAERA hedgerow compliance checks 06 July 2022