Loughry student Ryan Mulholland has had a busy summer. A key part of his National Diploma in Food Technology is a 12 week work placement in the food industry.
Ryan said: “I’ve already had a lot of food manufacturing experience in the first year of my course. The National Diploma in Food Technology is a very practical programme and I’ve enjoyed many of the units including Meat Technology.
“Having a placement with Doherty & Gray - one of Northern Ireland’s leading meat processors - is ideal. I’m getting to see many sides of the business and learning at first-hand how customer demands are influencing the meat products of the future.”
Ryan will return in the coming weeks to finish his course. “I’m really looking forward to getting back to Loughry – hopefully I’ll be able to use some of my new knowledge in the units that I’ll study this year,” he said.
If you’ve recently completed your GCSEs and are at a ‘career crossroads’, Loughry still has a few places left on its National Diplomas in Food Technology and Food Nutrition & Health. Both are A-Level alternatives – proven springboards to Higher Education or employment.
See the CAFRE website for details of our next Careers Advice Event on Thursday 24 August or follow Discover CAFRE on Facebook and Twitter.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @daera_ni.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Regional Food Programme opens for applications 23 March 2023
- Soil Nutrient Health Scheme – CAFRE launch training 22 March 2023
- Funding Innovation for Food Businesses with Invest NI and CAFRE 22 March 2023
- CAFRE Farm Innovations visit to North Yorkshire large dairy herds 22 March 2023