Northern Ireland Water Framework Directive Lake Quality Update statistics for 2020 have been published today by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs.
This statistical report contains summary information on the status of lakes for the three River Basin Districts in Northern Ireland based on data collected up to the end of 2019.
The key points are:
- In 2020, only one of the 21 lake water bodies in Northern Ireland was classified as 'good' status and 20 lake water bodies were classified as less than 'good’ status. This compares to five lakes at ‘good’ status and 16 at less than ‘good’ status in 2015 and 2018.
- This report is being published as a precursor to the publication of third cycle River Basin Management Plans for all water bodies. The draft plans are currently in preparation and final plans will be published next year, in accordance with the requirements of the Water Framework Directive (WFD).
- This report only provides an update to the assessment of lake quality. The reasons for this are set out in the report. Classification of all surface water bodies and groundwater bodies will be updated in 2021.
Notes to editors:
- These statistics are released according to the Statement of Compliance with the Pre-release access to Official Statistics Order (NI) 2009. National Statistics meet the highest standards of trustworthiness, quality and public value. They undergo regular quality assurance reviews to ensure that they meet customer needs. They are produced free from any political interference.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 30 November 2023
- Conference to help dairy farmers reduce labour demand and improve productivity 29 November 2023
- DAERA announces pioneering Net Zero Accelerator Program 29 November 2023
- Improving the Resilience of Dairy Farms 28 November 2023