Environment Minister Edwin Poots MLA today chaired the first meeting of the new Green Growth Inter-Ministerial Group.
The meeting, which was held virtually, was attended by Economy Minister Diane Dodds, Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon, Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey and Finance Minister Conor Murphy.
Speaking following the meeting, Minister Poots said “The Executive’s overarching multi-decade Green Growth Strategy and Delivery Framework for Northern Ireland is aiming to transform our society towards net zero by 2050, protect and enhance our environment and deliver sustainable economic growth.
“The strategy will link together all the relevant areas of policy, strategy and delivery to maintain a clear and long term focus on achieving this aim”.
“When I launched the Green Growth concept last year, I recognised the importance of all the key players working together in a spirit of partnership and collaboration, towards a shared goal.
“The Green Growth Inter-Ministerial Group met today, and I am very pleased that my colleagues all confirmed their commitment to the ambition and desired outcomes of the Green Growth agenda and to delivering together for the people of Northern Ireland in this important area.
“We finalised our Terms of Reference and we discussed a range of matters including the Committee for Climate Change’s recent advice to government on the 6th carbon budget and on Northern Ireland’s equitable contribution to the UK’s net zero by 2050 target.
“We intend to meet regularly and we will update the full Executive and the Assembly as Green Growth progresses”
Notes to editors:
- The DAERA Minister launched the Green Growth concept in his statement to the NI Assembly on 23 June 2020 – http://aims.niassembly.gov.uk/officialreport/report.aspx?&eveDate=2020/06/23&docID=302713
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook
- Poots announces plans to abolish the Agricultural Wages Board (AWB) 20 January 2021
- Changes to GB-NI livestock movement rules 19 January 2021
- New processes for moving equines from GB to NI 19 January 2021
- Northern Ireland Water Framework Directive Groundwater Status Update 2020 Statistics Released 14 January 2021