Cod Recovery Zone (CRZ)
The new cod conservation measures began on 1 January 2017. DEARA has issued the following Cod Recovery Zone notification letter and associated annexes for the 2017 scheme.
- Cod conservation - letter to industry (Febuary 2017)
- Annexe A - Notification of TR1 (whitefish demersal trawls) trips in the Irish sea
- Annexe B - Application of cod recovery zone fishing authorisation 2017
- Annexe C - Specification of eliminator trawl for TR1 gear
- Annexe D - Suspension of variation of CRZ authorisations
Guidance on DAERA approved highly selective fishing gears for is available to download below. This guidance is for persons who have DAERA administered vessels, who want to use TR2 fishing gear and who wish to receive a special permit to fish within the Cod Recovery Zone.
Western Waters regime
The Western Waters effort regime applies to UK fishing vessels over 15 metres in length fishing in waters to the west of Scotland, Wales, England including the Channel and south west towards France and Spain (ICES Areas VI, VII and VIII). It has become necessary to establish management measures on activity by UK vessels fishing for scallops in ICES Area VII.
The UK fisheries administrations (UKFAs) – the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), Marine Scotland, Department of Agriculture & Rural Development Northern Ireland and the Welsh Government – have joint responsibility for the regime.