Internal live fish and live shell fish movements

Fish farms in Northern Ireland operate under the authority of a Fish Culture licence under section 11 (for finfish) and section 13 (for shellfish) of the Fisheries Act (Northern Ireland) 1966 as amended. All fish farms and aquaculture production businesses are required to be authorised by the Department for fish health purposes.

Fish Farms

Under the terms of the Authorisation all movements of fish onto and off NI fin-fish farms must be  authorised  by DAERA Fish Health Inspectorate (FHI), prior to the movement. At least two working days prior notice of the proposed movement is required.

Apply for a Movement Permit

You can apply for a Movement Permit by completing a Notification of proposed fish movement form.  This is located at the link below:

Complete the application form and e-mail it to:

Applications must be submitted at least two working days before the proposed date of movement to allow the FHI to plan an inspection of your consignment before export, if appropriate.

If you require any assistance or further advice/information please contact:

Fisheries Inspectorate
Rathkeltair House
Market Street
BT30 6AJ

Telephone: 028 4461 8089


Wild Fisheries

Movements of fish to or from the wild fishery in Northern Ireland (except Foyle and Carlingford Areas) also require a permit issued by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) under Section 14 of the Fisheries Act (NI) 1966.

Movements to or from the wild fishery in the Londonderry or Newry Areas require a permit issued by the Loughs Agency of the Foyle, Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission under Section 69 of the Foyle Fisheries Act (NI) 1952.

Records of fish movement

Records of all fish movements are retained by DAERA to enable movements within Northern Ireland to be traced in the event of a disease outbreak.


Back to top