The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) is delighted to present the draft Northern Ireland Food Strategy Framework and looks forward to hearing your views. This Framework has been developed collaboratively with officials across NI Departments and other interested parties. The draft Framework recognises the interconnectedness between food, health, the economy and the environment. It proposes a new strategic food systems approach for Northern Ireland, and sets out a long-term vision, high level principles and areas for strategic focus. The vision is a transformed food system that protects natural resources for future generations, is economically and environmentally sustainable and provides safe, nourishing, accessible food to people, who make informed healthy choices. During the development process six strategic priorities were identified:-
- Priority One: Building connections between health/wellbeing and food
- Priority Two: Building Sustainable Economic Prosperity
- Priority Three: Building a Food Culture and Food Conscious Society
- Priority Four: Protecting and Enhancing our Natural Resources
- Priority Five: Building Healthy Lives through Food Education
- Priority Six: Building and maintaining appropriate Emergency Contingency plans across the supply chain.
We plan to host 3 virtual consultation events where you can obtain more information on the Framework. For more information on each event and how to register, please see key dates in the table below.
|Virtual Consultation Event||Consultation Event Date||How to Register|
|Northern Ireland Food Strategy Framework Information Session (1)||Thursday 30 September 2021 at 4pm||Presentation|
|Northern Ireland Food Strategy Framework Information Session (2)||Tuesday 5 October 2021 at 7pm||Presentation|
|Northern Ireland Food Strategy Framework Information Session (3)||Wednesday 13 October 2021 at 10:30am||Presentation|
|NB: Registration for each event will open approximately 1 week before the event|