Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots has visited Greenmount Campus to launch the new CAFRE College Estate Strategy 2021 – 2030.
The new Strategy aligns the work of the CAFRE Estate to the principles within the Future Agricultural Policy Framework Portfolio of increased productivity, environmental sustainability, improved resilience and an effective, functioning supply chain.
Minister Poots said: “I am pleased to launch the new CAFRE College Estate Strategy 2021 – 2030. The Strategy includes targets which will be challenging to achieve but will place CAFRE in a good position to demonstrate the new and emerging innovations which will enable our agri-food and equine industries meet the goals of future agricultural and environmental policy.
“The key asset of our industry is the people who work within it. The CAFRE Estate plays a key role in the demonstration and transfer of knowledge to the industry stakeholders, whether that is students at the College or those working within the wider industry. This strategy ensures the continued relevance and importance of that knowledge and innovation going forward.”
Martin McKendry added: “While this strategy document sets out our objectives and targets for the decade ahead, CAFRE as a college are already rising to the challenge of working towards these targets.
“Our estate is being used to demonstrate to students and industry what is possible, whether through the elimination of peat in our horticulture centre, preserving blanket bog on our hill farm or reducing anti-microbial usage in our livestock enterprises.”
Further information can be found on the CAFRE website.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter at and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Veterinary Nursing Graduation at Greenmount Campus 05 December 2022
- DAERA seeks views on the development of a new Northern Ireland Waste Management Strategy 02 December 2022
- Co Londonderry farmer fined for water pollution offence that led to a fish kill 02 December 2022
- Angler fined for having unlawful possession of sea trout 02 December 2022