A County Fermanagh Sheep Business Development Group was recently hosted by Mr Ivan Kettle, Maguiresbridge. Ivan shared with group members information on his sheep enterprise, with discussion focusing on housing and handling facilities, ewe nutrition and the grazing strategies which he used this year.
The Business Development Group also heard from feedback from group members Mr Roy Mayers and Mr Geoffrey Read about their recent Farm Innovation Visit to England and Wales.
Speaking to members about the farms visited, Roy and Geoffrey outlined the sheep farming innovations demonstrated and how these changes could aid the wider sheep farming industry in N Ireland.
Farm Innovation Visits are an exciting new opportunity for farmers across a range of disciplines to visit farms across the UK or Europe and gain first-hand experience of on-farm innovative approaches. Each trip focuses on innovations within a specific sector which are not currently practiced within Northern Ireland’s farming industry. The trips are focused and led by CAFRE advisers. Farm Innovation Visits are part of the NI Rural Development Programme and part funded by the EU.
For more information, visit the CAFRE website.
The Business Development Groups Scheme is part of the NI Rural Development Programme and is part funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office, firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Bakery Retail Food Safari 12 December 2019
- CAFRE students raise £1,000 for Enniskillen disability charity 10 December 2019
- NI’S Chief Vet comments on Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) confirmation 10 December 2019
- DAERA fund innovative research through 2020 Postgraduate Studentship scheme 10 December 2019