Business Development Groups (BDG) in the Ards and East Down area are currently on their 5th round of on-farm meetings. This group met recently on James and Jonathan White’s farm in Comber to discuss winter feeding, feed efficiency and making the best use of forage.
Cows on the farm are still grazing during the day which added to the discussion around the benefits of extended grazing. BDG meetings are focussed discussions on seasonally topical subjects and issues on the host farm.
This group have covered hoof care, grazing management, reseeding and fertility in their meetings. The winter programme will allow them to discuss topics such as dry cow management and financial benchmarking whilst in spring they will focus on nutrient management.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter: @daera_ni.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office, firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Key points for a healthy calving season within the suckler herd 02 February 2023
- Tarragon Bay fishing for success 02 February 2023
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 02 February 2023
- Practical steps to improve suckler cow fertility 02 February 2023