CAFRE final year Level 3 Extended Diploma in Agriculture students were recently involved in hedge planting on the College’s Hill Farm Centre at Glenwherry, Co Antrim. This “learning by doing” activity was part of the Managing Agricultural Environments module that the students have been studying during Semester 1 of the current academic year.
The students were given an overview of the day’s work by CAFRE Agri-Environment Training Adviser, Graeme Campbell who demonstrated the correct procedure for planting the hedge. Care was taken to ensure that a suitable mix of species was incorporated into the hedge before the whips were pruned and a weed proof fabric put in place and the fabric covered with gravel. To finish off the hedge a number of trees were planted along its length. The new hedge will help to integrate the suckler cow house in to the landscape while also providing shelter.
If you would like to find out more information on the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Agriculture course or other courses at CAFRE, please visit the CAFRE website or contact CAFRE on 0800 028 4291.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter: @daera_ni.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office, email@example.com or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Tyrone Farming Society award bursary to CAFRE equine student 20 March 2019
- Larne landscaper to compete in Russia 19 March 2019
- Rodenticide training - courses available at CAFRE 19 March 2019
- Co. Down Business Development Group plan to invest 15 March 2019