The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has appointed Mr Bill Cargo as a non-executive board member (NEBM) to the Departmental Board.
Each NI department is required to have an effective departmental board which provides leadership for the department’s business, helping it to operate effectively. The board supports senior officials in directing the business of the department in as effective and efficient way as possible and plays a particularly important role in supporting the Principal Accounting Officer in discharging her obligations as set out in Managing Public Money Northern Ireland.
NEBMs bring external perspectives and experiences and provide invaluable support and constructive challenge to executive members in their role to ensure that the Board’s business is discharged effectively.
Mr Cargo is a retired Chartered Engineer with over 30 years’ experience of asset management with significant commercial experience delivering large scale projects. He has many years of board-level experience including regulation, management of essential energy infrastructure, with a special interest in risk management systems and operational resilience. He was also a non-executive director of Northern Ireland Utility Regulator.
Mr Cargo’s appointment, which is for three years and commenced on 1 September 2023, increases the number of NEBMs on the DAERA Departmental Board to three and strengthens further the skills base.
Notes to editors:
- NEBMs are paid a daily rate of £526.79. The time commitment will be approximately 2.5 days per month.
- All appointments are made on merit. Political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, in accordance with the original Nolan recommendations, there is a requirement for appointees’ political activity to be made public. Mr Cargo has declared no political activity.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter at and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: email@example.com or telephone: 028 9052 4619.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- New deadline to provide evidence on impact of air pollution on environment 27 September 2023
- Apply now for the OCN NI Level 3 Award in The Principles of Meat Technology course at Loughry Campus, CAFRE 26 September 2023
- Castlewellan farmer making use of his SNHS results 22 September 2023
- Preparation is key to a successful calving season 21 September 2023