The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has announced that full or balance Direct Payments have issued to 97% of farm businesses on day one of the December 2018 payment window.
This is the highest performance across all regions of the United Kingdom, with payments totalling £85 million issuing today.
DAERA’s Director of Area Based Schemes, Dr Jason Foy, said: “The Department is acutely aware of the importance of timely Direct Payments to farmers and making a full or balance payment to 97% of farm businesses, totalling £85 million, on day one of the December payment window is an excellent achievement.”
It is expected that payments will begin to reach farmers’ bank accounts from Thursday 6 December, with payments continuing on a daily basis throughout December.
Notes to editors:
- The exchange rate for 2018 is €1 = £0.89281.
- Direct Payments in the UK are paid in sterling except where the farmer elects for payment in Euro by the deadline for submission of Single Applications.
- Payments will be made in the chosen currency by electronic transfer into the farm business bank account.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.