Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs Minister Edwin Poots has asked the public to respond to a new consultation on management measures on the use of fast craft and personal watercraft in marine protected areas.
The consultation is aimed at organisations, groups, and people who undertake activities, or have a general interest in the marine area.
Minister Poots said: “Well managed Marine Protected Area (MPA) networks are recognised internationally and are one way of protecting our marine environment. My Department has established a network of 48 MPAs providing protection for 38% of Northern Ireland’s inshore region.
“The proposals outlined in the consultation will enable both commercial marine tour operators and users of fast craft to carry out their activities in a sustainable manner that helps to protect our marine species.
“I would encourage anyone with an interest in marine to respond to the consultations and the closing date for responses to the consultation is 1 September 2022.”
Link to the consultation document.
Notes to editors:
- The proposed management measures will have particular relevance to commercial marine tour operators and users of fast craft including personal watercraft in marine protected areas.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter at and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- CAFRE EFS farm walk to take place at Enniskillen Campus 09 August 2022
- Management notes for August 2022 04 August 2022
- Brucellosis compensation rates for August 2022 03 August 2022
- Incorporating white clover into dairy grazing swards 03 August 2022