The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has extended the deadline for responses to its discussion paper on Northern Ireland’s first ever Environment Strategy.
The new closing date is now Wednesday 5 February 2020.
Announcing the extension Dave Foster, Director of Regulatory and Natural Resources Policy, said the department had received more than 800 responses so far.
“We have been heartened by the level of engagement of both individuals and organisations with this very important issue.
“Detailed responses are coming in on a daily basis so given the considerable level of interest we wanted to extend the public discussion period to ensure as many people as possible have the opportunity to take part.
“We have received responses from people of all ages and we know that young people in particular are telling us how strongly they feel about the environment. To add further depth to our level of engagement with young people, we have organised a dedicated event to ensure their voices are heard and their ideas contribute to our plans to protect and enhance the environment for both this and future generations,” Mr Foster added.
DAERA will publish a summary of the findings before drafting the 'Environment Strategy for Northern Ireland' in spring 2020. The Strategy is intended to be high level and will require endorsement from a future Minister and Executive.
The public discussion was originally due to close on 23 December 2019.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Advice on completing Online Single Application 2020 26 February 2020
- Cereal Business Development Group get update on crop nutrition 26 February 2020
- Poots announces £2.2million for environmental projects from carrier bag levy money 25 February 2020
- Poots welcomes Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company’s commitment to reducing CO2 emissions 25 February 2020